Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Best Of The Blues???

Not everyone subscribes to Blues Revue magazine, so I thought that I would post up their results of polling music journalists on their top picks for blues albums of the past decade. Of course, everyone has their own take on "best of" lists, but this is theirs:

1. Buddy Guy--Sweet Tea
2. R.L. Burnside--Wish I Was In Heaven Sitting Down
3. Otis Taylor--White African
4. Solomon Burke--Don't Give Up On Me
5. Koko Taylor--Old School
6. B.B. King--One Kind Favor
7. North Mississippi Allstars--Electric Blue Watermelon
8. Irma Thomas--After The Rain
9. John Hammond--Wicked Grin
10. Bobby Rush--Raw
11. Lil' Ed & the Blues Imperials--Rattleshake
12. Buddy Guy--Skin Deep
13. The Holmes Brothers--Simple Truths
14. Mavis Staples--We'll Never Turn Back
15. Corey Harris--Mississippi to Mali
16. Nick Moss & the Flip Tops--Play It 'Til Tomorrow
17. Tommy Castro--Painkiller
18. Corey Harris & Henry Butler--Vu-Du Menz
19. Watermelon Slim & The Workers--Watermelon Slim & The Workers
20. Hubert Sumlin--About Them Shoes
21. James Blood Ulmer--Bad Blood In The City
22. Mighty Mo Rodgers--Redneck Blues
23. The Mannish Boys--Lowdown Feelin'
24. Otis Taylor--Recaptuing The Banjo
25. Kenny Wayne Sheppard & Various Artists--10 Days Out: Blues From The Backroads

I can't quibble with what I haven't heard and, of course, if you know me then you know the ones that I have contain more that a smidgen of blues harp playing. Those would be numbers 9,19, 20, and 23. I can't judge the rest of the best, because I've only heard selected tunes on satellite radio....but I do think that they could have chosen a few more albums with some greasy blues harp playing gettin' it on. That's just my prejudice, and this is my blog, so I think that they could have found something by one of these bands that rank with the best:

1. Charlie Musselwhite
2. Little Charlie and the Nightcats
3. Rod Piazza
4. Mark Hummel
5. R.J. Mischo
6. Billy Branch
7. Kim Wilson
8. James Harman
9. Steve Guyger
10. Dennis Gruenling
11. Collard Greens & Gravy
12. Anson Funderburgh & the Rockets
13. John Nemeth
14. Mitch Kashmar
15. Darrell Nulisch
16. Gary Primich
17. The Hollywood Blue Flames
18. Sugar Ray Norcia & the Bluetones
19. Paul Oscher
20. Cephas and Wiggins

And so on and so forth...in my narrow minded ways. 'nuff for now.

No comments: