Patience is not a virtue that I possess. Just the opposite as a matter of fact. Someday I just need to face the fact that I just don't have the patience needed to deal with these SIMPLE projects (in the hands of competence). I spent a good part of my day pulling my hair out and trying to troubleshoot just what I did to screw up such a simple task. There were a number of things that I did and re-did to get this thing doing the do, so I don't know exactly what I undid that did it. I know the JFET was wired wrong and corrected that first off and I think one of the leads on the 5uF cap was also tie up in the wrong spot and I'm pretty sure that I corrected a ground problem somewhere during the day and at some point the darn thing began working. It does exactly what it is design to do--beefs up my crystal mics. Hurray! I didn't have time for an extensive trial run, but what I hear was worth the effort.
Mucho thanks to my com padre Stephen Schneider for feeding me advice and sort of reminding me that I could figure it out. I was ready to toss it all in a drawer last night and not think about it for awhile. Anyway--